INTRODUCTIONLinux Deepin is one of the most active Linux distributions in China. The developers of LD endeavour to provide its users with an operating system of high stability and efficiency, in order to fulfil our goal to "Keep newbies free from pain and save time for the experts". With the efforts from both the community and the company that work behind the project, LD is becoming easier to use every day. We would like to say thanks to all of you who join us and support us. Please follow our blog ( http://planet.linuxdeepin.com ). Linux Deepin is released twice a year. Last major release was Linux Deepin 11.12.
Deepin Gnome ShellDeepin Gnome Shell is a desktop environment based on the native Gnome Shell. It has been tweaked by the Deepin developers.
New pluginsIn Linux Deepin 12.06, three new plugins are added:
- Hide Message Tray: As the name indicates, it can hide the Message Tray.
- Kimpanel: Enables users to search in Gnome Shell for applications, files or contacts.
- Panel Settings: Lets users decide where the panel should be (top/bottom) and whether it should autohide.
Enhanced message indicatorThe message indicator of Gnome Shell is replaced by one from Ubuntu, placed at the right-top corner of the screen.
Other enhancements include:
- Deepin Dock: Application groups; instant preview; Closing applications Traditional system tray
- Better mouse experience: Application groups and workspace is placed on the left.
- Integrated searching engines including Google, Bing, Yahoo!, making it easier for you to search under Gnome Shell.
- Enhanced working space navigating
- Fixed the bug of .zip file garbled name
- Starting Gnome Shell with special effects is now supported on VirtualBox 4.1.6/VMWare 8.0.3/8.0.4.
- Read/Write support of exFAT file system.
- More hardware drivers integrated
- More fonts preinstalled to provide better CJK display
- Gnome Fallback mode now features a system tray.
- Opening plain text from other systems without errors.
- The Linux Deepin version of WUBI - DeepWin lets you install Linux Deepin under Windows.
- The latest official AMD graphic drivers (fglrx) contain bugs with 2D rendering, so the background of Deepin UI is unable to display normally. For this reason, we have disabled fglrx in Jockey-gtk. If you still wish to install fglrx, you may search for it in Deepin Software Center.
- If a bug with flash occurs, you may remove its incorrect config files by running
sudo rm ~/.pulse*
Featured applicationsThis version of Linux Deepin is the first stable version to ship with Deepin Music Player and Deepin Media Player.
Deepin Music PlayerDeepin Music Player is designed for Linux users. It is free software licensed under GNU GPLv3. The current version is 1.0.
Deepin Music Player features
- Music management
- Auto-download album covers and artist pictures
- Simple/normal mode of interface
- Lyric searching with multiple engines
- Desktop/window mode of lyric display
- Local file searching
- Theme selection support Common formats supported
- Other: Player history, crossfade, system tray, hotkeys
Deepin Media PlayerDeepin Media Player is a frontend of MPlayer2, featuring:
- Theme selection
- Most common formats support
- Video preview
- Auto-searching and downloading titles
- Online playback. Just enter the URL of the video.
Other featured applications include Deepin Screenshot tool and Deepin Software Center
Deepin Screenshot: a lightware screenshot tool
- Automatic window identification
- Selection of area
- Editing screenshots
- Saving to clipboard
- Delayed shots
Deepin Software Center features:
- One-click install/upgrade/uninstall software
- Integrated update manager
- Score/comments on software
- Software Searching
- Theme selecting
Development related: Deepin UI graphic librariesSince Linux Deepin 12.06, the Deepin UI will be preinstalled. The Deepin UI can be applied to develop easy-to-use Linux applications, giving a boost to desktop development. Deepin UI enables a developer to
- Manage the layout of applications the way he wishes, instead of restriced by the layouts of GTK+.
- Build a theme-selecting engine which is fast and easy to use. Instead of piecing pictures together to build a theme, one may build a theme with the engine by selecting one simple picture.
- Use a variety of widgets and graphic effects that are ships with Deepin UI.
- Use a variety of application modules, so one does not need to waste time on such things as dragging window, rounded corner, Gaussian blur, gradient effect, compelling windows and keystroke identification.